Mr. Dabney prior to joining Heller, Draper, Patrick, Horn & Dabney, L.L.C. in January of 2014, has practiced with McGuire Woods, LLP from 1974 through 2004, and with King & Spalding, LLP (NYC office) form 2005 through 2011. He formed Dabney PLLC in 2012 to continue serving as lead counsel for Financial Guaranty Insurance Company (“FGIC”) in the Jefferson County, Alabama Chapter 9 bankruptcy. His practice includes Chapter 11’s, Expert Witness, Litigation, Mediation and Municipal Restructuring and Receiver.
Some of Mr. Dabney’s more recent representations include:
- Represented (from 2011 – 2013) FGIC in connection with $1.8 billion of credit insurance issued to back fixed, variable and auction rate sewer debt in the Chapter 9 bankruptcy of Jefferson County, Alabama.
- Represented (in 2013) a private business in successfully resolving (within 6 months) litigation in Virginia state court over the value of that business. This dispute had been heavily litigated for over five years prior to Mr. Dabney’s engagement.
- Prepared (in 2013) on behalf of plaintiff’s trial counsel (Neufeld Scheck & Brustin, LLP) an expert report evaluating a particular New York municipality’s eligibility for Chapter 9 bankruptcy and the municipality’s ability to discharge or reduce (in Chapter 9 bankruptcy) the civil rights violation claims of an individual who was wrongfully convicted (and imprisioned for a number of years) of murder (which conviction was subsequently overturned by DNA evidence). Mr. Dabney’s expert report assisted with the successful settlement of the litigation.
- Served (from 2005-2006) as counsel to FGIC, as bond insurer and primary creditor, in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy filed by Entergy of New Orleans after the substantial destruction (caused by Hurricane Katrina) to Entergy’s gas and electric distribution system. After extensive and protracted litigation and negotiations, Entergy and FGIC successfully negotiated a plan of reorganization that was confirmed after substantial litigation with various opposing parties. The plan paid and reinstated all obligations to FGIC.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Editor and a Co-Author of 1st & 2nd editions of ABI’s handbooks on Municipal Insolvency.
- Speaks frequently to professional groups with particular emphasis on municipal insolvency and bankruptcy related litigation.
Professional Honors and Activities
- Fellow – American College of Bankruptcy
- Member – American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member – Best Lawyers in America since 1991
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- New York
- New York Eastern District & Bankruptcy Courts
- New York Southern District & Bankruptcy Courts
- Virginia Eastern District & Bankruptcy Courts
- Virginia Western District & Bankruptcy Courts
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1974
- University of Virginia, B.A. with distinction, 1971