Greta M. Brouphy works primarily in the bankruptcy practice group of the firm. Specifically, Ms. Brouphy specializes in negotiating unsecured creditors, secured creditors and debtor through chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. Ms. Brouphy has experience in representing large, complex companies and small companies in bankruptcy. Her experience includes representation of debtors, liquidating trustees, bondholders, unsecured creditors’ committees and plan agents in commercial bankruptcy and workout business cases in chapter 11 and chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings, as well as representing secured lenders in chapter 13 and chapter 7 proceedings. Ms. Brouphy also represents individual debtors in chapter 11 proceedings. Clients have included vessels builders, oil and gas companies, grocery stores, apartment complexes, property developers, hotels, and distributors. In addition to representing clients in corporate bankruptcy proceedings, Ms. Brouphy also assisted in the representation of an unsecured creditors committee in a chapter 9 (distressed municipality) bankruptcy proceeding through approval of a debt adjustment plan, and representation of the chapter 9 plan’s trustee.
She has experience in representing both debtors and creditors in preference actions, fraudulent conveyance actions and claim objections. Ms. Brouphy has drafted and assisted clients in the preparation and provisions included in disclosure statements and plans of reorganizations. Such assistance has included investigating possible litigation, including causes of actions against directors and officers, recovery of assets, and collection of accounts. Ms. Brouphy also has experience in representing liquidating agents and litigation agents post-confirmation in chapter 7, chapter 9, and chapter 11 proceedings.
Ms. Brouphy has represented clients in various jurisdictions in bankruptcy matters including, Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, Nevada and Illinois.
Furthermore, Ms. Brouphy also has experience in the area of Louisiana succession law. For clients, Ms. Brouphy drafts testamentary wills, living wills, and general and medical powers of attorney. Ms. Brouphy completes succession proceedings through to judgments of possession as well as ancillary succession proceedings.
Additionally, Ms. Brouphy also has experience in drafting real estate leases.
Professional Honors and Activities
- Member– International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation; Secretary on the Board of Directors for 2015, Served on Board of Directors for community service for 2013 and 2014
- Member– Louisiana and Federal Bar Associations
- Recipient of several Honor Awards for Excellence for completed courses of study
- Served on Board of Directors for the Young Lawyers Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana, 1999
- Louisiana State and Federal Courts
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- All Bankruptcy Courts of Louisiana
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Mississippi
- Loyola University School of Law, J.D., 1999
- University of New Orleans, B.S., Accounting, 1990